Marriage Licenses


A marriage license is required to be considered legally married in the state of North Dakota and it must be obtained before the ceremony is held.

Step 1: Complete a pre-application

Please contact the Auditor's Office by calling 701-577-4500 to obtain a questionnaire before coming in. Once you have received the questionnaire, please fill it out electronically and submit it to the Auditor's Office.

Step 2: Come in to the Auditor's Office to obtain the marriage license

Marriage licenses can only be obtained in-person at the Auditor's Office and both parties must be present. Licenses are available for purchase from the Williams County Auditor's Office, Monday through Friday, between 8 am and 4:00 pm.

Please bring with you:

  • Current photo ID (such as a driver's license or passport)
  • Certified Divorce papers (if you are widowed, we do not need a death certificate). The certified divorce papers must have the raised seal or the red stamp. Per state law your certified divorce papers will be retained with your marriage application for 3 years.
  • $65 cash or $68 with a credit card; checks are not accepte

Step 3: Hold a ceremony

Once the marriage license is obtained a ceremony, conducted by an officiant and attended by two witnesses, must occur within 60 days for the marriage to be considered legal. There is no waiting period; you can get married right away.

The Williams County Courthouse is no longer performing wedding ceremonies; you may contact us for a list of officiants.

Step 4: Return the license to the Auditor's Office

Once the officiant and witnesses sign the license, the license must be returned to the Auditor's Office within 5 business days of the ceremony. If the ceremony does not occur within 60 days, the license will expire and a new one will need to be obtained.

Certified Copies

Certified copies of marriage licenses can also be obtained from the Auditor's Office for $10 per copy. A certified copy of a marriage license is required by the DMV, Social Security Office, Passport Office, etc. to complete a legal name change or to prove a marriage occurred. This is only if you are already married. Click the link below to request a copy.

Close window