FAQ Topic: Building Division FAQ

How can I make an open records request?

Open records requests can be made by contacting the Department that would have the information. If you are requesting information from a board or commission, or unsure of which Department the request applies to, then please contact the Communications Department. For more information about open records requests, visit the North Dakota Attorney General’s website.

What information is needed to apply for a building permit?

The following documents are required when submitting a Building Permit Application: Parcel ID Number (PIN): 14-digit number unique to every parcel. Use this map or search this database to find your PIN. Project Valuation: Total cost of the project including materials and labor. This does not include the cost of the land. Legal Description: Township, … Continued

What types of buildings are exempt from a building permit review?

Work exempt from a building permit includes: one-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds and playhouses provided the floor area does not exceed 120 square feet, fences under 8.5 feet in height, retaining walls under 4 feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, … Continued

How do I request an address?

If you need to request a physical address for a parcel that has an occupied building or utility, please complete an Address Application and return to Development Services – Building Division.

How much does a building permit cost?

The minimum building permit fee is $75. Fees increase by: $4.00 per $1,000 in value up to $5,000,000 $1.00 per $1,000 in value above $5,000,000 If a commercial project plan review is required, then an additional 25% of the building permit fee is due for projects over $99,999. The maximum plan review fee is capped … Continued

How long is my building permit valid?

A building permit is deemed expired when no inspection has been requested for a period of 6 months. The permit does not expire as long as work is done and effort is made to complete the project.

How do I schedule a building inspection?

Inspections can be requested online or by calling the Inspection Line at (701) 577-4576. Inspections are generally conducted between 8:00 am and 3:00 pm and are only conducted on buildings located on property within the County. If your building is located on property within a city’s limits, then you need to contact the city in … Continued

How do I apply for a building permit?

A building permit is required when an individual intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, or change the occupancy of a building or structure. This includes but is not limited to: Any structural modifications Installation of modular and manufactured homes Garages and storage buildings, including pole barns Temporary housing unit or temporary office trailer Communications … Continued

When am I required to have my plans signed and sealed by a ND licensed design professional?

Residential:┬áDocuments are required to be signed and sealed when the proposed project is beyond the prescriptive measures outlined in the current adopted addition of the International Residential Code. Commercial:┬áRegardless of size, when structural work is proposed, commercial projects require that a North Dakota licensed engineer sign and seal the plans. Additionally, commercial projects in excess … Continued

Close window