Child Welfare Services

Child Care Licensing


The North Star Human Service Zone works with the North Dakota Department of Human Services to license child care/daycare. Licensed child care offers caregivers the knowledge that providers are regulated through standards and monitoring.

Child care licensing is required for anyone providing care to more than 5 children or more than 3 infants under 2 years of age. Licensed providers can participate in the Child Care Assistance Program, if they care for children who qualify, and the USDA Food Program. For more information, or if you are interested in becoming a licensed provider, please visit the Early Childhood Services website. Parents seeking licensed childcare can access information regarding local providers by "Find Licensed Child Care" below.

For more information, please contact an Early Childhood Licensing Specialist of visit one of the links provided below.


Moriah Rademacher, Early Childhood Licensing Specialist for Williams and McKenzie Counties
Janinne Paulson, Early Childhood Licensing Specialist for Divide, Burke, Renville, Mountrail, and Dunn Counties

Child Protection Services (CPS)

North Dakota's Department of Human Services now manages a centralized and specialized CPS intake unit. Individuals who suspect a child is being abused or neglected in North Dakota can make a report to the intake unit by calling 1-833-958-3500, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. Central Time (7 a.m. – 4 p.m. Mountain Time). If a child is in immediate danger, call 9-1-1.

Law enforcement and health care professionals in need of a CPS worker to respond to their location immediately can continue to contact the North Star Human Service Zone for situations in Burke, Divide, Williams, and Renville Counties. Supporting documents should be faxed to the new centralized CPS Intake Unit at 701-328-0361. Local CPS supervisors and workers are responsible for notifying law enforcement of potential criminal situations.

Foster Care and Foster Homes

The process for becoming a Foster Care provider is conducted by the North Dakota Department of Health and Human Services. Click below for more information.

Close window