About the Program
For 2022, the Williams County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) is pleased to make a total of $60,000 available from the Visitor Promotion Fund for tourism grants for the purpose of promoting, encouraging, and attracting visitors to come to Williams County and use the travel and tourism facilities in Williams County. $40,000 is available for capital projects and $20,000 is available for events and advertising.
Applications are due by 5 pm CT on Friday, September 2. Awards will be announced during the BOCC meeting on October 18.
- Grant funds can be awarded to any public, for-profit, or non-profit entity as long as the proposed grant project is related to tourism in Williams County. The applicant must be located, or the event must be taking place outside of the City of Williston or the City of Tioga, but within Williams County. For information about tourism grant programs in Williston or Tioga, please contact the Williston CVB or the Tioga Visitors Committee.
- Must be able to enter into agreement with Williams County, subject to terms and conditions acceptable to Williams County, to receive and expend the funds.
- Ability to accept electronic transfers is preferred.
One Tourism Grant Program application is permitted per entity. The application may contain several types of expenses and the total amount requested in any individual application may not exceed $20,000 for a capital project or $5,000 for events and advertising.
Grant Award Details
Any grant of money must be for tourism in Williams County, outside of the City of Williston or the City of Tioga. There are two types of grants available; only one application per entity will be accepted or considered.
- Funds can be used for the purchase, installation, and/or improvement of equipment, infrastructure, or facility as it relates to drawing visitors to, or serving visitors in, Williams County, outside the City of Williston or the City of Tioga.
- The applicant can request up to $20,000 in which the grant can cover no more than 80% of the total project cost.
Events & Advertising Grant
- Funds can be used to offset costs related to advertising (e.g. for an event or a facility) and/or attracting/hosting an event occurring in Williams County, outside the City of Williston or the City of Tioga.
- The applicant can request up to $5,000 in which the grant can cover no more than 80% of the total project cost.
Accountability and Demonstrated Impact
- Within 30 days and one year of the completion of the capital project, the applicant must submit a written summary report, in a format provided by Williams County, to the Williams County BOCC stating the impact project had on tourism in Williams County.
Events & Advertising Grant
- Within 30 days of the event or completion of advertising campaign, the applicant must submit a written summary report, in a format provided by Williams County, to the Williams County BOCC stating the impact the advertising campaign or event had on tourism in Williams County.
Distribution of Grant Funds to Awardees
- Expenses can be incurred over a multi-year period, subject to approval by the Williams County BOCC, but one-time purchases are preferred.
- Grant funds will be disbursed as expenses are incurred unless otherwise approved by the Williams County BOCC.
- Documentation such as a receipt or copy of payment transaction will be required to receive grant funds.
- Grant funds will be disbursed by Williams County in the same manner as vendors are paid.
Tourism Grant Application Review Committee
- Amy Krueger Executive Director, Williston CVB
- Katie Ogden Park Manager, Lewis & Clark State Park
- Barry Ramberg Williams County Commissioner
- Lindsey Harriman Williams County Community Engagement Coordinator (ex-officio)
Lindsey Harriman, Community Engagement Coordinator
(701) 577-4557 | Email
Pending award acceptance and approval of agreements to disburse funds
During the October 18, 2022 Board of County Commissioners meeting, the following grant awards were approved:
Events & Advertising Grants
|Grenora Community Club||Event: Band expenses for the 2023 Back to Harvest Bash||$5,000|
|Ray Grain Palace||Event: Band expenses for the 2023 Ray Grain Palace Days||$5,000|
Number of eligible applications received: 2
Total amount awarded: $10,000
|Capital Grant||Purpose||Amount Granted|
|Acts of Kindness - Wildrose||Purchase umbrellas and picnic tables for events||$5,865.70|
|City of Grenora RV Park||Updates/additions for the conversion of a trailer park to a RV park; funds to be used towards materials for fire rings and picnic tables||$6,534.30|
|Lunds Landing Marina, Inc||Purchase kayaks for rent||$9,000.00|
|Ray Community Development Corp||Improve public restrooms and interior heating/AC at the Ray Mall||$13,600.00|
|Save Red Mike/ The Links of North Dakota||Replace original deck on clubhouse||$15,000.00|
Number of eligible applications received: 9
Total amount awarded: $50,000*
Since the total amount of funding available for Events & Advertising grants was not awarded, the remaining funds went towards awarding additional capital grants