Applications are closed for 2023
About the 2023 Program
For 2023, the Williams County Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) is pleased to make a total of $80,000 available from the Visitor Promotion Fund for tourism grants for the purpose of promoting, encouraging, and attracting visitors to come to Williams County and use the travel and tourism facilities in Williams County. $50,000 is available for capital projects and $30,000 is available for events and advertising.
|Cycle 1: $25,000 for capital projects; $15,000 for events and advertising||Cycle 2: $25,000 for capital projects; $10,000 for events and advertising|
|Applications open: January 18, 2023
Application deadline: 5 pm on February 22, 2023
Award date: March 21, 2023
|Application open: June 1, 2023
Application deadline: 5 pm CT on July 13, 2023
Award date: August 15, 2023
Any grant of money must be for supporting, increasing, or enhancing tourism in Williams County. One Tourism Grant Program application, either a Capital Application or an Events & Advertising application, will be accepted per organization. The application may contain several types of expenses and the total amount requested in any application may not exceed $20,000 for a capital project application or $5,000 for an events and advertising application. Grant funds may only cover up to 80% of the total cost of the proposed project. Additionally, the Applicant must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a public, for-profit, or non-profit entity that has a business licensed to do conduct its operations in the State of North Dakota
- If an entity required by law to be registered with the North Dakota Secretary of State’s Office to conduct business in the State of North Dakota, then the entity must be duly registered and be in good standing at the time an application is submitted and remain in good standing throughout the term of the grant and any reporting period
- If a property owner in Williams County, must be current on real property taxes incurred in Williams County and must be in compliance with applicable Williams County Zoning Ordinance and Subdivision Regulations, and amendments thereto
- Must be requesting grant funds for costs that have not yet been incurred as of the grant award date
- Must be requesting funds related to tourism in Williams County
- Must be located, or the event must be taking place, outside of the city limits of the City of Williston, but within Williams County
- Must be able to enter into written agreement with Williams County, subject to terms and conditions acceptable to Williams County, to receive and expend the funds
- Must complete application in its entirety to be eligible for consideration
- Ability to accept electronic transfers is preferred
- Applicants that have been previously awarded a Williams County Tourism Grant are eligible to re-apply in 2023 provided that the Applicant’s previous or current award is in good standing and the application is not for an expense that has been previously awarded.
Grant Award Details
Any grant of money must be for a public purpose. A public purpose has as its objective the promotion of the public health, safety, morals, general welfare, security, prosperity, and contentment of all inhabitants and residents within Williams County, or other purpose determined by the Board to be a public purpose.
Below are the specific requirements for capital grants and events and advertising grants. Any category of expense not specifically listed below may still be eligible for a grant award, but the proposed expense must be for a public purpose and the decision to include the expense will be at the discretion of the BOCC. In addition, whether a particular expense falls within the requirements below or otherwise will be at the sole discretion of Williams County.
Requirements for Capital Grant
- Funds can be used for the purchase, installation, and/or improvement of equipment, infrastructure, or facility which relates to tourism, including drawing visitors to, or serving visitors in, Williams County
- Expenses must be related to tourism
- The applicant can request up to $20,000 in which the grant can cover no more than 80% of the total project cost
Requirements for an Events & Advertising Grant
- Funds can be used to offset costs related to advertising (e.g., for an event or a facility), attracting or hosting an event located outside the city limits of the City of Williston, but within Williams County, marketing strategies and technologies, signage, or other means of advertising tourism-related events or facilities in Williams County
- Expenses must be related to tourism
- The applicant can request up to $5,000 in which the grant can cover no more than 80% of the total project cost.
Distribution of Grant Funds to Awardees
- Expenses can be incurred over a multi-year period, subject to approval by the BOCC and as stated in awardee’s written agreement with Williams County.
- Unless otherwise agreed upon by Williams County, any grant funds not disbursed to awardee by December 31, 2023, for expenses that were expected to be, or actually, incurred in 2023 will be redistributed by the BOCC for tourism grants or for distribution or disposition by any other public purpose of Williams County.
- Extensions may be requested by the awardee to be presented to the BOCC for consideration; any extensions will be documented as an amendment to the original agreement
- Grant funds will be disbursed as expenses are incurred on a reimbursable basis unless otherwise approved by the BOCC.
- Documentation such as a receipt or copy of payment transaction will be required to receive grant funds.
- Grant funds will be disbursed by Williams County in the same manner as vendors are paid.
Accountability and Demonstrated Impact
- Within 30 days and one year of the completion of the capital project, the awardee must submit an Impact Statement to the BOCC stating the impact the project had, or has had, on tourism in Williams County. A template will be provided by Williams County.
Events & Advertising Grant
- Within 30 days of the event or completion of an advertising campaign, the awardee must submit an Impact Statement to the BOCC stating the impact the event or the advertising campaign had, or has had, on tourism in Williams County. A template will be provided by Williams County.
Awardee must be compliant with the summary schedule, and criteria set forth above in submitted an application, to remain in good standing with the grant award and receive, or continue to receive, reimbursement for expenses.
It is the responsibility of each awardee to determine the impact of a grant award on their finances and tax status. Williams County will provide a 1099 at the end of each year.
Application Review Process
- Administrative Review: The Williams County Community Engagement Coordinator will review each application to ensure its completeness and verify that the basic eligibility requirements are met.
- Application Dissemination: Eligible and ineligible applications will be forwarded to the BOCC and the Tourism Grant Application Review Committee for review. The Review Committee will meet to review and discuss applications.
- Recommendation: The Review Committee will provide a recommendation of awardees and the amount of funding to each awardee to the BOCC.
- Final Decision: The BOCC will make the final decision of awardees and amount of funding to each awardee at a regular BOCC Meeting
Tourism Grant Application Review Committee
- Amy Krueger Executive Director, Williston CVB
- Katie Ogden Park Manager, Lewis & Clark State Park
- Barry Ramberg Williams County Commissioner
- Lindsey Harriman Williams County Community Engagement Coordinator (non-voting member)
Lindsey Harriman, Community Engagement Coordinator
(701) 577-4557 | Email