FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
December 10, 2021
For more information, contact:
Williams County Communications Department
Phone: 701-577-4557 (office)
New Williams County Commissioner’s Districts take effect
Williston, N.D., (December 10, 2021) – Ahead of the December 31, 2021, deadline set by North Dakota Century Code, the Williams County Redistricting Board has finalized a plan for new Commissioner’s Districts. The Plan was filed with the Williams County Auditor’s Office on December 9. A recording of the meeting, a copy of the Final Plan, and an updated map of the districts can be found on the Williams County website.
During their December 8 regular board meeting, they reviewed and approved the Final Redistricting Plan, which adjusts County Commissioner’s Districts based on the 2020 federal decennial census. Per ND Century Code Chapter 11-07, counties that have at least one County Commissioner’s District that deviates more than 10% from the average population per Commissioner’s District as determined by dividing the total population of the county from the most recent census by the number of Commissioner’s Districts in the county must redistrict. Williams County meets these criteria for redistricting in 2021.
Williams County has 5 Commissioner’s Districts. Based on the 2020 Census, the population of Williams County is 40,950. The boundaries of each district needed to be redrawn to redistribute the county’s growing population so that each district has a population as close to 8,190 as possible, with a margin of +/- 10%. Based on the Census results, District 1 had the largest population to be redistributed.
Notable changes to the district boundaries include:
- Eastern expansion of District 2 to include areas west of 16th Ave W that were previously in District 3
- Northern expansion of District 3 to include the future Williston Square development and surrounding communities to the west that were previously in Districts 1 or 2
- Southern expansion of District 4 to include additional areas in downtown Williston that were previously part of District 2
- Western expansion of District 5 to include remaining sections of Blue Ridge, Winner, Athens, and Tyrone Townships that were previously in District 1
- Western and southern expansion of District 5 to include sections of Missouri Ridge Township north of Highway 85B, which were previously in District 1
The table below shows the final population count for each new district.
|District||Population||Target Population||Deviation from Target||Deviation from Target (%)|
The currently seated County Commissioners will remain in their elected positions for the duration of their term.