Frequently Asked Questions

To request your own DD214 form, please visit the Veterans’ Service Records website. Copies are free for the veteran or next of kin. You can also check the status of a previous request through this site.

The National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) can only release limited information from the Official Military Personnel File (OMPF) to the general public, meaning that you are not the veteran in which the records are about, are asking about a veteran who is of no relation to you or seeking information about a veteran who is a relative, but for whom you are not the next-of-kin. Next-of-kin is considered the un-remarried widow or widower, son, daughter, father, mother, brother or sister of the deceased veteran. Information can be obtained by visiting the National Personnel Records Center’s website.

Have other questions?

Close window